Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

DANA AND PAULIE WERE LOVERS



I find very little on the web.  There are some yellowed newspaper clippings in the bottom drawer of my file cabinet and that is about all to mark a tragedy that took two lives and never needed to happen.

In the mid ‘80’s I was living on Capitol Hill in Denver, engaged in the long process of trying to repair my life after a hard and bitter fall from grace.  I was attending AA meetings and tenaciously supporting myself by driving a hack.  I knew Dana Sue.  Not well.  I had sat in the rooms with her and her lover, Paulie.   I saw her on the street one day and gave her a ride to a meeting in my cab.  I found her to be a pretty, affable girl, big boned and muscular.  Hardly the brooding hulk described in the newspaper.  She was a bewildered little girl in a woman’s body.  That she had problems was evident but who in AA didn’t?  Or on East Colfax or on Denver’s Capitol Hill or in America?  She appeared to be heavily medicated.

I hadn’t seen her for a while.  I had moved to the Barrio and was attending a different meeting.  As I have the story, second hand, (it’s in the newspapers of he time but I am unable to provide a link) someone talked Dana Sue out of taking her psychotropics. She was desperately trying to control her illness that was caveing in on her.  Ultimately it didn’t work.

Paulie came home one evening to find Dana Sue, naked, covered with blood and holding a bloody knife.  She had picked up a man.  A one legged man at that and she had taken him home with her.  His body was tied to her bed.  He had been stabbed 117 times and her initials were carved into his chest.  Dana’s absolute rage had taken over.  I do not know what went into the inception of that fury but I think I have a better idea than most.

It could have been prevented.  The woman was obviously insane.  Anyone would know that.  Except the people who might have done something.  The mental health system and the Denver police dropped the ball.  Mental health lawyered up and the police actually admitted it, after throwing the lowest man on the totem pole under the bus.

Except for a sensible judge who ruled that Dana Sue was legally insane and committed her to the Colorado State Hospital in Pueblo.

The last time I saw Paulie she was walking alone toward the rougher edge of Larimer Street in Denver.

End of story.  Not by a long shot.  Dana Sue got off the leash.  After a couple of years in Pueblo she got out with the help of a female employee of the hospital either willingly or under duress.  After a couple of weeks and a drama filled Thelma and Louise chase throughout the Southwestern United States, Dana Sue was found in a motel room in Albuquerque with a bullet through the roof of her mouth. 

That kid got a raw deal her entire life.


The people we send to Washington to represent us are not doing their job.  They succumb to greed and worse they sell us out to special interests.  Our government is not proactive, they are reactive.  Dear God, the answer is right there, so plain, and yet our president and our congress refuse to act.  They play partisan politics instead.  Tell me why I should have any respect at all for those we send to govern us.  What is happening today is only an escalation of what happenened to Dana Sue Jones.  Dana Sue Jones went down only a few years after the mental health budget was drastically cut under Ronald Reagan, who is not my favorite president for reasons already stated.  See my post:  The Lifeblood of a generation.  Dec. 8th.

WHO KNOWS WHAT EVIL LURKS IN THE HEARTS OF MEN?
THE SHADOW KNOWS


2 comments:

  1. wholeheartedly agree. i know you wrote this about a week after that horrible elementary school shooting in ct. it's sad to see how mental health and health in general is about money. people are literally dying because the people at the top are that GREEDY. to see them on election day making promises and talking about what they have and haven't done is disgusting. these folks begin to ask questions or wonder what they're doing wrong when incidents like these happen. bet you washington would do something if that crazy ass guy ran into the capitol building gunning down a bunch of senators or if someone shotup cigna or aetna headquarters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Shadow, my name is Sean Quinn and I am helping to produce a documentary about this case for the Discovery Channel.
    I am trying to find people who knew Dana Sue so that I can accurately portray her. If you have any free time, I would love to ask you a few questions.

    Thank you in advance for any assistance. Please feel free to message me at the address below.

    Sincerely,
    Sean

    IDseries2014@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete